Saturday, October 08, 2005

Fernie Williams Responds

I am firmly against mandatory year round schools. I feel year round schools are great for those who want it but should not be forced on the parents and students of Wake County. The Wake County school systems planning group is constantly in damage control mode instead of doing their jobs and providing the facilities to meet the future needs put upon the system.

I have been in my current home for about four years. Two years ago a new school was built to reduce crowding at my children's school. This year they are having to add new mobile classrooms to handle the demand. This is unacceptable. It has to be a better investment for the taxpayers to build in a reasonable amount of extra capacity than to build new schools every three to five years when the stated life of a school is forty years.

I have attended one of the reassignment meetings recently and noted the comments from every parent that voiced their opinion. The majority of the comments regarding mandatory year round schools were negative and I agree with them.

If I am elected I will never forget that I work for the people that I represent, not that they work for me, and find the best compromises to the tough decisions that I will face.

I am not a politician, I am an engineer and that is what engineers do, find the best compromise to the problem, based upon the facts.

...
Best regards,
Fernie E. Williams