Thursday, January 05, 2006

Continue to Speak Out About Mandatory Year-Rounds

I would love to start out with a "Happy New Year" to everyone, but after reading the N&O Wednesday morning, it's suddenly hard for me to shout out that greeting. I wish I had a simple answer for all of you who are asking, "What can I do to stop the mandating of year-round schools?" Please know that I continue to do everything I can think of to convince the "powers that be" that this simply will not work. I continue to pass on data from countless studies, as well as first-hand accounts from leaders whose systems tried this approach, only to abandon it after nearly destroying their schools and communities. I will attend the forum in Apex Thursday night (see my earlier post here) and hope all opponents of the reassignment plan will be present.

For now, just continue to bombard all school, business, and other county leaders with calls, emails, and even letters through the regular mail. A largescale conversion to year-round schools will deeply impact almost every aspect of life in our community. I know it gets old after awhile, but please keep it up. One School Board member told me yesterday that he has gotten hundreds of emails from parents opposed to splitting up their high school students, but very few from parents opposed to mandatory year-rounds.

I have also urged Board members to study innovative ideas that have proven highly successful in other areas. One of those involves saving on construction (and time) by building schools in existing facilities (strip malls, warehouses, etc.). From what I understand, such options have not even been discussed.

I am in touch with various School Board members on a weekly basis, and will be meeting with one of them on Friday. How they can make a decision of this magnitude with so little information on hand is beyond me. All it takes is a look at the past to see that the potential repercussions of their decisions could be devastating to all of Wake County. We must make it very clear that we will not just stand by and let this happen.

I actually took some time off to be with family over Christmas, but will try to keep my blog more updated now. Please read the links I include from time to time, and encourage others to do the same. I couldn't begin to print out all of the invaluable information that I want to share with you, but I can certainly make it one click away! The more citizens who know the whole story about mandatory year-round conversions, the better.

Thanks again for joining the fight against something that is just plain wrong!

Louise

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home