Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day Thoughts

In my opinion, if the bond referendum passes today, polling booths will hardly have time to sit empty before school officials put into high gear their mandatory year-round conversion plans. Why, they have already been busy meeting with teachers and parents about the switch, pairing up PTAs to help each other out in the transition period, and much more. You would think the bond had already passed! Anyway, those who oppose the forcing of year-round schools will hardly have time to turn around before the attempt is made to put any hope of an alternate plan out of reach.

Should the bond fail, Wake County will find itself in a precarious situation. But, at least MYR opponents will have a chance of garnering support for alternative solutions. Many see this as the only hope they have left. As I've said before, what a shame. It didn't have to be this way......

 

I think opinions on the bond boil down to two things, mainly:

1) how harmful you believe the massive forcing of year-round schools is (I can't, for the sake of our children, compromise on it, knowing what I know)

2) whether or not you believe the current CIP plans will be negotiable once the bond passes (I don't - based on research, I am convinced that MYR plans in Wake County are part of a much larger agenda, and that once MYR schools start increasing in number, there will be no stopping the momentum)

For my part, wishful thinking is not going to put an end to something that I believe is wrong.

Each of us has come to this table with different sets of experiences, different levels of knowledge about the subject matter, different needs, and different values. I just hope we can refrain from making assumptions, generalizations, and accusations.

I pray that people will get out and vote, and not take for granted the precious rights that we have as citizens of the United States of America. I also pray that civility and respect will rule the day, regardless of the outcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home