Wednesday, January 10, 2007

My Letter To Commissioners Gurley, Coble, Bryan, and Gardner

Dear Commissioner --------,

I don't know how to even begin to adequately express my thanks to you for standing up for what is right, knowing full well what that action would mean. You and the other three Commissioners who voted for a wiser spending of taxpayer's money, have sent a message to the citizens of Wake County that will never be forgotten.

What we heard was this: you will listen to your constituents and make every effort to hear both sides of an issue; you will not ignore valid facts and research, and will press to learn more; you will not buckle-under to pressure from "the powers that be"; and you will face ridicule, personal attacks, etc. rather than compromise the truth.

I know the "spin" has already begun on what has transpired over the past few days. I also know that things will probably get worse before they get better - but they will get better. I attended the School Board's Committee of the Whole meeting yesterday, and was appalled by the discussion that took place. The citizens of Wake County have approached Board Members for years warning them of the repercussions if they tried to force a year-round calendar on parents. I know I have personally shared mounds of irrefutable data, studies, etc. showing why this would not work - and why concerned citizens would never just sit by and let this happen. For the School Board to say that they are "shocked" and that it is now too late to make changes is truly a "cop-out". They (you know which ones I include) have brought this time-crunch upon themselves by not listening to warnings and offers of help - over and over - for months and years. They presumptuously started implementing conversion plans prematurely, now leaving teachers, principals, and parents trapped in limbo. They created this situation by being cocky enough to dismiss our "be careful - this is not set in stone" words. Also, they knew that the faster they started making changes, the harder it would be to stop and/or undo their damage.

Now the pot has been stirred up, and the future is uncertain. Please rest assured that I will stand behind you, as will thousands of petition-signers, and hundreds of my personal contacts. I'm sure I have sounded like a broken record with my constant "Don't give up - this is far from over" urgings, but my optimism stems from a strong faith that we humans are not the ultimate "controllers". Regardless of what happens next, you did the right thing - sleep peacefully!

With My Deepest Appreciation and Respect,

Louise Lee

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home