Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Exodus Begins

If you are not familiar with the WakeEd blog that Keung Hui runs over at the N&O, take a look sometime.  Here’s part of a comment posted by a Wake County high school physics teacher with elementary children on how she is dealing with the current turmoil:

“As a high school teacher whose children will next year be forced to attend to new base year round school, The current high school schedule (and even the proposed new schedule) did not allow me enough time off with my kids (one of the major reasons I became a teacher - it certainly wasn't for the money!) You know what I did? I am leaving the district. I have been offered a job in a neighboring county. My children will the other district for free and we will have the same schedule. Yes, I will make a couple thousands dollars a year less than I am this year, but I will not have to pay for trackout childcare and I still will have time with my kids! If this new plan takes hold, I imagine that there will be a mass exit of high school teachers with children. The neighboring school districts (Durham, Johnston, Harnett, Chatham, etc) will benefit greatly and Wake county will have problems attracting teachers to fill the vacancies. (BTW, I am one of those hard to replace highly qualified physics teachers.)”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home