Friday, September 08, 2006

Reasonable Requests

Here are three logical and reasonable requests that I am voicing to the School Board and Administration. If they are TRULY sincere about "we don't want to do this mandating, but we have no choice" rhetoric, then I'm SURE they would jump at the chance to find another viable option. Right?? :^) Okay then -

  1. SHOW us (on paper) a "what if" scenario where those who have volunteered for year-rounds are put in year-rounds. If they are all kindergarteners, fine - I want to see that for myself.
  2. SHOW us (on paper) what would happen IF, for example, they compromised (perish the thought) the tiniest bit on the 40% F&R ratio in areas where the high growth is occurring. There are already schools (30 maybe??) that don't adhere to that ratio. I'm talking 38% instead of 40, for example - or whatever. You would still have a similar ratio (which they're determined to keep), but would minor tweaking open up many seats? I want to know!
  3. SHOW us how many of the 3,000 slots could be filled IF you added students to classes that are already under-enrolled, or IF you increased certain classrooms to even 1 student over capacity. Yes, I know that would take legislative action, but that's not out of the question. I also know, as a former teacher, that smaller classes are better. But - under the circumstances, adding 1 or 2 to your class, provided you're not already over-capacity, would create far fewer problems than what is currently being proposed.

My logical mind just can't understand why these "what if" scenarios were not researched long ago. Or, if they were, then why can't we see the findings? That is not too much to ask, and these are very reasonable requests. Anyway, that's my answer to those who keep asking , "Okay, then what do YOU propose?" It's cheap and do-able. If it comes up empty, then at least I'll know they tried.

Problem is, as everybody knows, ASKING the S.Board and the Administration to do something, and GETTING them to do it are two different things! It's such a disservice that no two-way conversations can ever take place between the public and the Board. There's no way to demand an answer from them and hold them accountable.

Sooo... I will pass these suggestions on to the Co. Commissioners and other leaders in Wake Co., maybe even to our General Assembly members, and solicit their help in pushing for some answers. Not that it will help, but there's always a chance! Especially since they want the bond to pass, and it won't unless another option is found.

Lastly (and I'm sorry this is so long!!), I am continuing to talk one-on-one with other folks in Wake County who are not necessarily in the limelight, but who are well-thought-of, well-known citizens who definitely can influence the opinions of others. I spoke with such a friend yesterday who has no involvement in education now that her children are on their own. She said she had no idea that this Mandatory Y.R. decision would affect the entire county. A major goal of mine, and I have plans in mind, is to highly publicize the repercussions of the School Board's decision on ALL citizens in Wake County. Please join me in this effort, and send the facts out to those acquaintances who are not directly involved.

Thanks for all of the support!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home